8 September 2007

Fast Food Chicken Rice

Can a Fast food Chain produce chicken rice equivalent in taste and product as good as the Normal Coffee Shop Chicken Rice? (if we ignore the price factor)
.
I decided to give this question an appropriate test. I have know about The Chicken Rice Store for quite some time (from my days running around in KL) and I have seen their outlets up here in Penang in Tesco (shop) as well as in Carrefour (food court outlet). I selected the Carrefour (prai) outlet and steam chicken it will be.

Ambiance of the Outlet: It beats all the Coffee Shops flat, Air con, nice chairs, nice tables, beautiful decoration.

.

Price: At RM7.13 inclusive tax per serving of Chicken Rice it is pricy, for a Penangite as it is more then double the RM2.80 – RM3.00 we pay for our chicken rice here in our coffee shop, but to be fair the portion is larger. For Some one from KL or JB who is use to RM3.50 upwards for their chicken rice it is not to bad.

.

What do you get: Per serving of Chicken Rice you get one portion of rice, one portion of Chicken (about one and the half time more then what you will get in penang, about the same as what you will get in KL), and the soup with Chillie and what I assume to be the ginger sauce.

.

Presentation: Nicely presented, much better then coffee shop, however two items, plate for rice is small, and plastic cutlery. Ever try to each chicken with bone using plastic fork and spoon of the low cost type? Well it is an experience I do not enjoy nor do I wish to repeat.

.

The Taste Test:

.

Chicken: Steam Chicken, smooth, very nicely done. Certainly not to my expectation, and beat many other shops and 5 star hotel. (100% score) .

Sauce: Adequate (80% score) the sauce is not to my liking however as I find it too light. Taste was fine.

.

Rice : Has the yellow colors and it is fragrant and aromatic, again beat many other shops (100% score)

.

Soup: Wow! Nice Tasty Soup, with vegetable and chicken inside. (120%)

.

Chillie Sauce : 100%, thick and spicy,

.

Conclusion

It seem that The Chicken Rice Store can at least for this outlet, produce chicken rice to match the Coffee Shop Chicken Rice, The also give the 5 Star Hotels and Restaurant a good run for the money.

.

The Chicken Rice Store in Carrefour Prai, score 500% out of a possible 500% in the taste test, thank to their soup which compensated for the sauce. Will I come back again? well to me the turn off factor is a. Price b. the plastic cutlery (could it be that I was seating in the food court section that they give me the plastic cutlery? ) Try removing the flesh from the bones with a plastic spoon and fork.

No comments: